University Hardware Purchase Program
OCCS has established recommended desktop computer configurations for all OCCS-supported computers (see the Computer Standards page) and has negotiated a purchase program with both Lenovo and Dell to have PCs ordered from their factory suitable for most University faculty and staff.
The pre-configured computers, called managed PCs, provide standard configurations to support the operating systems and applications used on the University. Once they arrive at the University, tools are provided to support personnel to minimize installation and setup times for delivery to customers throughout the campus. There are three ways you can purchase your desktop:
- Monarch Techstore,or
- Old Dominion University Dell Premier Web Site. Users that wish to access this site should establish an account on the Dell site.
Additionally, those that wish to purchase Apple Products can do so by accessing the Apple Old Dominion University site at http://store.apple.com/us-hed/findyourschool .
From there type in Old Dominion University in the school search box and click the search button
After Old Dominion comes up in the results box, click on it then click on the button to go to this site.
Advantages of the University Purchase Program
- Reduced wait time for installing new machines.
- Reduced paper work. Since the pre-configured machines come with everything you need, you will not have to complete separate purchase forms for software.
- Price advantage. All pre-configured machines will use University Site License prices for Windows XP and office suites.
- Trust Fund purchase. Trust fund monies can be used to purchase the pre-configured machines.
Pre-loaded software at no additional costs:
- McAfee Virus Scan
- Internet Explorer 8.0 + Plugins
- Xwin32 with SSH
- Acrobat Reader
- EndNote Reference Manager and others