Remote Desktop Access to the University
After May 1, 2009, the University will be supporting the use of Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) to centrally supported windows based desktops across the campus. This support is provided to improve telecomputing services and provide for more robust access to University resources. This change in policy coincides with the upcoming migration of the University central authentication and file/print services to a Microsoft Active Directory environment.
To utilize RDP each user must fulfill the following three requirements:
- The user must obtain permission from their immediate supervisor to access ODU work resources remotely during regular and non regular hours for work purposes.
- To begin the process to gain RDP access, the user should submit a request in Footprints. The user’s immediate supervisor should be included on the request.
- The supervisor should respond to the email from the Footprints system providing authorization for the user to have permission to use RDP for business purposes.
- The user should follow the steps in the VPN Access procedure to complete the Blackboard course and gain VPN access (See the VPN Access Procedure PDF).
- Once VPN access is obtained, the TSP for the user requesting access will be notified of configuration changes required to provide access on the user’s desktop.
**Remote Desktop access through the VPN will not be provided for non-exempt and hourly employees due to existing COVA and ODU employment regulations**
Please note that users will be responsible for installing and supporting their PC being used for VPN access and the required VPN client.