ODU student Gmail accounts can now be accessed via IMAP on your phone or from an IMAP client such as Thunderbird or Apple Mail.
Due to security requirements, you will need to setup a secondary password for this service. This password cannot be the same as your MIDAS password, and it will only be used for this IMAP service.
To set up a secondary password in MIDAS:
- Log into the MIDAS website
- Under the Account Details section, click the Gmail Student Mail Service
- Click "Set a service-specific password"
- Enter a new password for this service. It cannot be the same as your MIDAS password.
- Then click on Change Service Password
- Please note: It will take up to 30 minutes for this new password to synchronize with Gmail.
Next you will need to enable IMAP access for your ODU student Gmail account.
- Log into the your ODU student Gmail account
- Click on the Cog icon in the upper right then click Mail Settings
- Click on "Forwarding and POP/IMAP"
- Under "IMAP Access", click "Enable IMAP", then click on "Save Changes"
Once you have setup this service password, it will take up to 30 minutes for this new password to synchronize over to Gmail. Once it has synchronized, then you can use it to configure your Blackberry, iPhone, or IMAP client. Gmail has an excellent instruction page documenting what settings you will need for your device.
When configuring IMAP access from your email or mobile client to your student Gmail account, please use your ODU Student Gmail address for your email address, user name, or account name (ie. Use Jdoe001@odu.edu NOT firstname.lastname@example.org)
Google IMAP settings
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Security type: SSL (always)
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587 or 465 depending on the mail client
Security type: TLS (always)