The LAN (Local Area Network) account gives you access to services not locally available on your computer. Students receive LAN accounts automatically when they create their MIDAS account. Faculty and staff can obtain an Account Request form from the Technical Support Center located at 1500 Webb Center.
LAN accounts establish the following services:
- Printing: Shared networked printing is available from the network.
- Internet Access: A LAN account provides proper network software protocols to the Internet. This protocol called TCP/IP is what programs such as Netscape and Microsoft's Internet Explorer use to request and deliver a web page to your desktop.
- Server Disk Space: Each LAN account is established with a specific amount of disk space on the server for storage of files used at work. This information is backed-up on a regular basis and can be recovered in the event of emergency. See the Data Restore section for more.
- Access to University Resources: TCP/IP is also used to transport your other university resources such as UNIX account information. Without a LAN account you will not be able to access these resources. Note that UNIX accounts are not automatically generated by a LAN account. UNIX account login access is only available via a request from department unit budget director which also requires the business director's signature.
- Shared Resources: Almost all departments share a common directory on the network. This allows you and the people in your department to share common files without the limitations of floppy disk space and maintaining common documents on one machine. Departments can share a network drive which is accessible and write-able by all designated members of the department. This capability is not automatically generated, it is only available via request from department unit budget director.
- Shared Applications: Almost every department shares a common network utility or program of some sort. A LAN account allows department personnel to access these shared applications. Shared applications access is only available via a request from department unit budget director.
Your network LAN account and associated files can be accessed from off-campus via IUser.